Friday, June 11, 2010

If you run...you are a runner

This was said to me yesterday by a friend of mine after I had commented that I was frustrated for not getting any better. It's the second time I have heard this. I think what I need to wrap my head around is that I don't need to be fast. I don't need to be able to go far. If I run, whether it be 1 mile or 10 miles, I am a runner. I have a lot counting against me, asthma, out of shape, bad knees, overweight. But you know what? I'm running. And I keep doing it. I think it's been almost 6 months now. That's pretty good and I'm pretty proud of myself. I'm going to keep doing it and keep pushing. If I can't ever do better than a 14 minute mile...so what? Maybe my body isn't meant to go faster than that. I'm going to try to stop worrying about it and just do the best I can and let my body adjust naturally.
That said...I'm still really sick from the cold my kids gave me (thanks guys). There is no way I can run today with the coughing and chest congestion. In fact, I started out trying to walk and I can't even do that. I get too dizzy when I start coughing and it's just not safe. So although this may sound like yet another excuse, it's not, and I'll be back as soon as I can!

No comments:

Post a Comment